Areas of refuge must be provided with a two-way communication system complying with Sections 1007.8.1 and 1007.8.2, including:
- Two-way communication systems that provide communication between each required location and the fire command center or a central control point locationapproved by the fire department. Where the central control point is not constantly attended, a two-way communication system shall have a timed automatic telephone dial-out capability to a monitoring location or 9-1-1. The two-way communication system shall include both audible and visible signals.
- Directions for the use of the two-way communication system, instructions for summoning assistance via the two-way communication system and written identification of the location shall be posted adjacent to the two-way communication system.
View other parts of the International Building Code (IBC) accessible means of egress:
- Accessible routes (referred to as continuous accessible paths of travel in some legislation)
- Stairways (including interior exit, interior exit access and exterior exit stairways)
- Elevators (also referred to as passenger lifts in some countries)
- Platform lifts
- Horizontal exits
- Areas of Refuge
- Exterior area for assisted rescue
- Two-way communication
- Accessible signage
- Directional signage
- Where an exit stairway forms part of the accessible means of egress is must include either an ‘area of refuge’or an exterior ‘area for assisted rescue’